Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Secret:The Power by Rhonda Byrne






I recently read The Secret and also The Power by Rhonda Byrne. What struck me after reading both of these books is that Ms. Byrne has simply taken timeless wisdom, quotes, beliefs...that have been around for centuries, thanks to prophets,teachers,inventors,artists... and ended up making a bundle of money for herself by packaging this information in two beautifully presented books.

On the plus side, I think there is a lot to learn in the pages of these books. Yes, we have the power to attract goodness into our lives (to a point). Yes, love is (usually) the answer. Yes, we can manifest many things that do come true (but not always). Yes, being positive and putting a positive spin on life is helpful, supportive and can change a bad day into a good one (sometimes).

What I really object to is the implications throughout both of these books that everything that comes into our lives is due to our own "law of attraction". That we manifest bad things that happen, through our own thoughts and actions. As many reviewers over at Amazon expressed and I totally agree, this kind of "doctrine" is a slap in the face to every innocent person who has been the victim of crime, abuse,neglect...and that's just wrong.

In terms of manifesting, it appears that Rhonda Byrne has been doing some rather negative manifesting in her own life, based on the court battles and controversies she has been embroiled in. Check out this article at the Huffington Press for more about this. This is just one of many online about where Ms. Byrne has headed in her own life, after the publications of these books and the release of The Secret movie. Sadly it appears that greed has once again reared it's ugly head.

There are good lessons to be learned in both of these books but they are the eternal messages that have been written about again and again, in other books and since the beginning of time. The Golden Rule still applies. Love can and still does transform lives, there is power in Positive Thinking, Knock and the Door Shall be Opened, Seek and Ye Shall Find....and many, many more.


If nothing else, maybe Rhonda Byrne has at least reminded many of us to heed these truths and to think about them, once again. And how they can impact our lives every day, in significant ways. And for me, that's been the good result of reading these books. Her work is flawed but still has some merit.

Overall rating for this book: Fair. 2 out of 5.

5 comments:

  1. Geraldine,
    This was helpful!
    I had heard about this book and felt hesitant about the concept myself.
    Thanks for this!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Secret, not The Power. There are some things in the book that are so true and there are also things that need to be overlooked. I had mixed feelings about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before watching this movie I knew that my thoughts created my reality. The missing link for me was the importance of feelings. When you feel good, good things tend to come to you, and when you feel bad, you attract bad things. So, it is important to have better ways of looking at situations, and then you will attract better situations. The other concept that impressed me was importance of gratitude. Gratitude rocks.

    If you wish to buy a good book on the subject, I recommend The law of Attraction by Michael Losier, and, Ask and it is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks. My favorite quote from the movie: 'What you think and feel, and what you manifest is always a match. Every single time. No exception' Esther Hicks. My other favorite quote: 'Your wish is my command.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read the power. Love is essential in our life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm negative and have depression. What's wrong with a book about positive thinking?
    Nothing. Go for it. I wish you happiness in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...