Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressing (Classic Ranch)

                                                           

As an avid cook and cookbook author I am always on the look-out for good quality, great tasting products that contain the best and freshest of ingredients. I recently tried: Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Dressing (Classic Ranch) and I was really impressed.

This is a commercial "gourmet type" salad dressing that compares very favorably with other brands. I am a huge fan of Ranch dressing and I have yet to try any (even the full-fat) types that are any better than Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressing Classic Ranch.

If you are an label reader (isn't everyone these days?) you will probably already know about what can be found in some brands of commercial salad dressings. Not always appetizing or healthy that's for sure. I don't want to buy anything that contains ingredients I don't recognize as actual food. 

There are still a lot of companies making salad dressings (and other products) loading them up with preservatives, colors, additives and sub-standard ingredients.Time to join the 21st century! Ingredient list do matter and consumers are reading them.

Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressings also are a lot better choice calorie-wise. A tablespoon of their Ranch dressing contains 35 calories. I compared this with similar products from other companies that came in anywhere from 50 to a whopping 100 calories per tablespoon. And believe me, if you like dressing on your salad etc, a tablespoon does NOT go a long way.


From their "fun" website  ( the artwork and graphics are so cool ) :

"Bolthouse Farms® introduced an exciting new line of all natural refrigerated salad dressings. With yogurt instead of mayonnaise as the base, they provide less than half the fat and calories of the leading brand – with all of the flavor. Yogurt provides a smooth creamy texture with a tangy flavor that blends extremely well with other ingredients. Using an innovative pasteurization process, the premium ingredients maintain their flavor, freshness, integrity and nutrition."

I must admit that even though I love to cook, salad dressings are still something I'm a bit lazy about, when it comes to making them from scratch. I really appreciate having a bottle of a good-quality commercial dressing in the fridge available when I'm craving a salad but don't want to go to the effort of also making a dressing. Bolthouse Farms is definitely one I will have on hand now.Excellent on wraps, with pizza, in dips for fresh veggies...in addition to topping fresh greens.

I am looking forward to trying some of their other Yogurt Dressing choices and there are quite a few to choose from including: Caesar, Honey Mustard, Thousand Island,Coleslaw,Chunky Blue Cheese...lots of other products too, including a variety of veg and fruit juices and fresh carrots (I've tried their carrots too, always crunchy good). I'm hoping they will be offering some organic options in the near future too. When I can, organic is always my first choice, for any type of food.

If you are tired of reading ingredient lists and calorie counts on salad dressing bottles that make you cringe, stop by the refrigerated section in the produce department next time you are grocery shopping and pick up a bottle of Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressing.  I think you will be glad you did!

Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.

18 comments:

  1. I have never had Bolthouse Farms dressings.
    Must try this one!
    Thanks for the review, G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dressing was very good but I would like it to be from organic sources if possible. Organic is always my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog post! We tweeted it from our account. @bolthousefarms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Margie, I think you'll like this dressing, especially if you are a Ranch lover! Very good and easy on the calories.

    Hi Joe, I hope to see that too. Organic is always my first choice, for any types of foods. Other products too, when that's possible.

    Hi Bolthouse Farms, Thank you for the tweet and for the good product.

    Happy Wednesday, G

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eating Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressing: Honey Mustard as we speak! I love their products and the healthy option they give to those of us who need lower carb, lower sugar, and lower calorie options for health reasons! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I'm going to try the Ranch now, too. I also just had the Honey Mustard and it's SUPERB. The flavor is so yummy it goes with almost anything. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm eating my salad with the Ceasar Parmigiano. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Ceasar Parmesan is absolutely delish. I could drink it right fromt he bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried the yogurt-based Caesar Parmigiano at only 35 calories, so also tried the yogurt based Chunky Blue Cheese, which only has 35 calories per serving. (2 TBSP).

    Both are VERY DELICIOUS!! Only thing I was bummed about was how long the ingredients list was. YIKES!!
    Also, even when I measure out 2 tbsp per serving to make sure my calorie count is accurate, the bottle never seems to yield 14 servings as it says on the label. (I use a marked measuring spoon). If anyone from Bolthouse can address that, Im curious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tried the caesar parm yogurt dressing, its wonderful. Im trying to find other flavors now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love the Bolthouse Ranch and I agree with you Surfdancer that the servings don't seem to add up. I didn't use an exact measurement as you did, but I was pretty close and noticed that they fell short. Thanks for the "Real Life Reviews"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eating it right now. I think it tastes better than any other ranch. Give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Honey Mustard is one of the best dressings I have ever used !!! would choose it over a full fat dressing. It is sooooo good. I've also tried the blue cheese and the classic ranch. They are also very tasty! NeauxLa Girl

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just tried it for the first time. I didn't expect much from a low calorie ranch but it was amazing! I can't believe it was so good! Very flavorful and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. do you need to keep new unopened bottles of Mango chipotle dressing in fridge or just after opening? I have a few bottles I bought over a month ago sitting in a cupboard 7 would like to know if they are ok to eat, thanx.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would contact the company directly Ron, I'm not sure about storing them for extended periods of time. Good luck and happy eating! :-)

      Delete
  16. We use this brand for everything. Dips, dressing, dribbled over veg,topping for baked potato.And try adding seasoning to one to change it, like garlic for creamy garlic.We puree a whole fresh avocado in it for green goddess, just add the other seasonings and drops of water to thin to your liking. ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...