Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Patons Pure 100% Organic Cotton Yarn


                         


This is my new favorite organic cotton yarn to knit and crochet!

I recently purchased 3 skeins of this yarn: in Fern, Sea and Blue Grass for a project I'm including in the beginner's crochet book I am currently working on.

Sea



Blue Grass


The photos do not do this yarn justice. It has a beautiful sheen. Doesn't fray, split or shred when working with it. It is soft but not too soft as some cotton yarns tend to be. It has a nice stability when working with it.The texture of this yarn is exceptionally nice.  A definite stitch definition (and I was only using a simple single crochet stitch for the most part). And another bonus: it's organic cotton which is always my preference. Very, very pretty!

I plan to make a short cardigan or shrug in this yarn too, as soon as I can.

The only downside I just noted online was that several sites selling this yarn only have limited color choices available and others have discontinued it. I've included the Amazon link on the left sidebar here to one of the sellers I did find. Local stores may have this available too. I bought mine online some time ago from Herrschner's Canadian site but today I didn't note this yarn available there. This yarn is definitely worth looking for!.

Here are some of the basics about this yarn:

Weight Category: 4; 100% USA grown cotton; 2.8oz.80g; 117yd/107m. Gauge: 20st x 26r = 4in/10cm on size 7/4.5mm knitting needles and H8/5mm crochet hook. Care: hand wash; tumble dry low or dry flat; do not bleach; do not iron; do not dry clean.

Re: care instructions. I'm guessing that if a garment or other item made in this yarn was put in a laundry/lingerie bag or pillowcase on delicate cycle it probably could be washed by machine. I haven't tried this yet. I do know I've gone this route before with other "hand wash only" yarns and it worked fine. But again, it would be a test to find out, in your own washing machine. I wouldn't chance it on a larger, irreplaceable item though!

Overall rating for this product: Very Good. 4 out of 5.

4 comments:

  1. i can imagine how nice and soft it must be... but i am wondering if it keeps the shape??!! and also the cost... is it too outrageous??!!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ger,
    I LOVE your colour choices here, and the yarn sounds very good.
    It will be nice to see your completed project sometime.

    How exciting that you're working on a book!!!

    (I found Stephen King's book On Writing, just last week at Sears clearance for an extremely good sale price. There was only one, and I just by chance went to look, so I knew the book was meant for me. :) - Just wanted to tell you I found it such a helpful, great book for many reasons)

    (Thanks for the review you did of this book awhile ago, or I wouldn't have thought to read it.)

    Thanks for all your helpfully inspiring posts over the past months.
    Hugs,
    Brenda

    Good luck with your various projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like great stuff. A new book? Keep me posted. I have attempted to crochet many a time without any luck. Maybe you're the teacher for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Pie, That's the real beauty of this yarn, it's soft to the touch but still has a nice texture, not limp as some cottons are. I love it!

    Hi Brenda, That's great about the Stephen King book, meant to be as you said. I really enjoyed reading this one (read twice actually) I hope you do too.I'm glad my reviews are helpful, I've had some great feedback along the way, it's kept me going here!

    Hi SandyC, Yes, a crochet book and it's going very well. Slow progress but steady, that's the way I seem to work. I need a deadline at times to get over the finish line it seems! LOL I am just getting ready to put a proposal together for this one, a good "chunk" of the book work is completed or at least "mapped out" . I feel good about this project.

    Happy Thursday and Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...