Friday, February 22, 2013

U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton

 
 
 
I'm a late-comer reader to the Sue Grafton, Kinsey Millhone Mystery series.
 
Many years ago, I read G is for Gumshoe and although I enjoyed the book at that time, I didn't read any more of this series until the last couple of years. But I've made up for lost time, having now read almost all the books in this series to date which is currently at:  V for Vengeance.
 
What's been the biggest surprise reading this series has been how varied the style of story, Sue Grafton has written for each one. In some ways, that's been a good thing, keeping things fresh and entertaining. In other respects, not so much. I'll get into more about that in a minute...
 
For any of you that aren't familiar with this mystery series: Kinsey Millhone, the main character, is a private detective living and working in the fictional city of St. Teresa, CA which appears to be loosely based on Santa Barbara.
 
The stories are set during the 1980's and Kinsey remains a single woman (with two marriages in the past) in her 30's throughout. Kinsey is small in stature but for the most part, a " tough cookie" not afraid to take on the bad guys and definitely suited for the life of an 80's gumshoe .
 
Working as a PI during that time appears to be a lot more low-tech and labour-intensive than would be the case for modern day detectives. IMO, setting the stories in that era is a good thing, adding to the appeal of the books. But I'm guessing for some younger readers, it might be hard to fathom the pre-Internet world that Kinsey inhabits.
 
U is for Undertow was published in 2009 and is one of my favs in this series. I like a lot of stories that feature two separate time lines running parallel throughout the story and this is the case in U is for Undertow set back in the 1960's and also the present day of 1988 for this particular book.  
 
The story begins with Kinsey being hired by 27 year old, Michael Sutton who has been haunted by a memory from his childhood in the 60's that he wants Kinsey to look into. One that he believes will lead to solving a kidnapping that's been a cold case for over 2 decades.
 
Sue Grafton found just the right balance in this story featuring intriguing and varied characters, many with dark secrets that will finally be revealed by the end of the book and just enough detail and description, to keep the pages turning.
 
What I've disliked in some of Ms. Grafton's previous books is when there has been too many insignificant characters brought into the story (and for no apparent reason even by the end of the book) and sometimes over-the-top attention to details about surroundings, clothing, food...the list goes on and on. Happily, not the case in U is for Undertow. 

Not once does Kinsey obsess about her lack of clean socks or less than stellar hair style in this story! There's not even a mention of the nail scissors coming out for a trim this time. And although Kinsey's "all purpose" black dress IS mentioned briefly, it doesn't come up again and again in U is for Undertow.
 
If you've been reading along with this series, you'll know of what I speak when it comes to Ms. Grafton's love of minute details! ;<)
 
Another thing I do like about this entire series is the fact that you don't have to read the book before the one you have to get into the story. Ms. Grafton does a great job of bringing the reader up to speed with Kinsey, recent cases if relevant and then it's onward to the story at hand, in short order.
 
So, even if you haven't read any previous Kinsey Millhone Mysteries, you could definitely pick up a copy of U is for Undertow and enjoy it, without the need for referencing earlier books in the series.
 
I'm looking forward to see what W brings!
 
Hopefully Sue Grafton has already got that one in the works.
 
Overall rating for this book: Excellent. 5 out of 5.


20 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is completely obsessed with Sue Grafton's novels. I've never read any yet (my pile of fun reads is too vast as yet), but I've got her on my must read list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can SO relate to the pile of books to read, at all times! I usually read a novel in a day or two, so at least I get through the pile quickly LOL. I hope you enjoy this series if you give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I like her style of writing too. Although I'm clearly more a fan of minutiae than you lol. I like details, it fleshes the story out more IMO, but I get that somethimes it's more like get on with it already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like most of the books in this series but there are a few that stand out like this one, loved V too. I like some of the quirky Kinsey details but when she starts getting into a lot of detail about rather mundane items (like dirty socks) I say get on with it too! LOL

      Delete
  3. I have never been a big fan of mystery novels and even less so of ultra prolific writers.. but the odd novel might be a fun ebook to download from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not usually a mystery fan either Hilary but this series has been an exception for me. You might want to try reading this book or one of the earlier ones and see what you think. Kind of addictive though! I never expected to read most of the series but I have.

      Delete
  4. I have read and loved her books from the first one. I agree this ones REALLY good. I wonder which direction she will take when the series is over.
    Great review geraldine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read V for Vengeance? I thought that was excellent too. What an beginning to that one! I was hooked right away. Thanks for your kind words Teri.

      Delete
  5. I love detective series in books....they're my favourite but for the life of me I could never get into her books, hey at one point I had bought the entire (well almost) alphabet at a garage sale for $1 measle dollar and still as much as I tried, I can't get into her, just can't. I wish I could but I've always disliked the first person, I like books in the third person...maybe that's one of the reasons, Gosh I miss reading but right now I have 0 concentration all I can do is watch dVD that's it. But at least it's Medium based on real life psychic Allison Dubois, and that reminds mr my apologies to Joseph, I'm so used to seeing Joe, Allison Dubois' husband that I started calling Joseph Joe....God please give me back my concentration so I can read quietly, well maybe it wouldn't so quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's some garage sale bargain!

      Joe doesn't mind Joe or Joseph as long as I don't call him late for dinner LOL.

      I find reading so calming actually. Had kind of a tough day here yesterday and I chilled with a novel, finished it too. I felt better by the end of the book...being transported by a story can be so helpful at times.

      Take care friend.

      Delete
  6. I had this book on my Amazon wish list but it was never purchased. I haven't read any of Sue Grafton's work but after reading your review I think I'd better start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy this book and others in the series Val, hope you do. And as I said above, you can start reading anywhere in the series without missing much from previous books, I like that a lot.

      Delete
  7. She is one of my favorite authors...and it was a bright day when I first discovered her books...always looking forward to seeing a new title from her.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read this one yet or V... Jen? I'm looking forward to W. I know she has another book out, Me and Kinsey, I believe it's called. Her granddaughter's name is Kinsey too, isn't that sweet?

      Delete
  8. its been a long time since i read anything by her....sounds like i might want to revisit her again....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good one to start with Brian! :<) I'm guessing you're a very avid reader, am I right?

    Happy Weekend Everyone, G

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent review. I'm starting to read some of the books from this series, I'm reading M for Malice right now. This one sounds good too. It is true, she does like to get into a LOT of useless detail at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe and I'm glad you're giving these books a try. We get to laugh about the stinky sock references together. ;<)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Worth a try! I never liked mystery books much until I started reading this series, then I got hooked!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...