Saturday, April 13, 2013

Two Widows Mystery Series by Ruth Ross


 
As I posted about here, I recently received a Kindle Paperwhite as a birthday gift, my first ereader.
To say I am loving having a Kindle, would be an understatement, and for so many reasons.
 
One of the best things about having an ereader has been browsing the Kindle Store over at Amazon.com and Amazon.ca on an almost daily basis and finding new authors/books that I hadn't been aware of previously. One click of the mouse and voila!!!  I've got a new ebook on my Kindle, ready to enjoy. Now that's my kind of convenience and book shopping experience! ;<)
 
One of these authors is Ruth Ross, who writes the mystery series: The Two Widows.
Ruth Ross lives in Washington State (we're neighbours!) and shares her life and home in real life with her mom,  as does the main character in her books.
  
In the Two Widows Series, Millie Mahoney and her mom, Margaret share a lot more than just the day-to-day usual activities of the typical middle-aged daughter and older mom duo.
 
The series begins with: Two Widows and the Thrift Store Murders which was a fun, entertaining read from start to finish.

Along with frequent trips to the local thrift stores to check out the weekly "must have" bargains, Millie and Margaret soon find themselves right in the middle of murder and all kinds of mayhem.  I was so glad there was another book to follow in this series, after I had read the Thrift Store Murders in just a couple of days.
 
Second in the series is: Two Widows and the Misdirected Message. This has been my favorite Two Widows story, to date. Ruth Ross does a great job of expanding on her main character's personalities, quirks, likes and dislikes in this one.
 
I also found out a lot more about the identity theft than I previously knew. A cast of believable, but  often unsavory (yes, there are plenty of  'bad guys' in the mix) characters, suspense, even some romance, for Margaret that is! And how I love Margaret throughout this series. My kind of mom. Feisty, supportive, full of fun and ready for sharing all kinds of adventures with Millie, along with Margaret's new beau, Frank.
 
Last in the series (so far) is Two Widows and the Rest Home Menace. Again, Ruth Ross does a fine job of creating believable characters who move the story along and keep the reader wanting to turn that next page. 

The only thing I didn't like about this particular story was that the family pets seem to be a bit forgotten along the way, as Millie and Margaret find themselves knee-deep in yet another mystery to be solved. Take Aurora for more walks and yes, even Chance the Cat gets lonely, I'm sure!  
 
 
Except for Sue Grafton's alphabet book series, I've never been much of a mystery reader. But the Two Widows Mystery Series written by Ruth Ross are stories in the mystery genre that I  thoroughly enjoyed.

Ruth Ross has also done something quite unique with these stories, featuring a 50 + main character and her mom, who are doing anything but slowing down and taking it easy. Tossing out some stereotypes about what it means to be an older woman and in a big way.
  
I'm looking forward to the next installment in the Two Widows Mystery Series. If the first three are any indication, I know I'm in for a good read.

 The Two Widows Mystery Series is available in Kindle and print editions at Amazon. You already know which format I now prefer! ;<)

You can also find out more about this series and author: Ruth Ross at her website.
 
 
Overall rating for this book series: Very Good. 4 out of 5. 

24 comments:

  1. They do sound interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice...these do sound like pretty cool books...it is pretty cool as well that she is using characters that are not typical...that makes it all the better for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what caught my attention first Brian. I like any story that has a bit of a twist from the norm. My own mom and I were very close as you already know, so that part of the series appealed to me too. :<)

      Delete
  3. Excellent review. Using a non-typical characters as amateur detectives is a great idea. I'm going to give this series a try too, after reading this review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Geraldine, and everyone, for the comments. I completely enjoyed the entire experience, from writing to publishing, but hearing about people who have enjoyed reading them makes everything even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to read and to review your mystery series Ruth, my pleasure. Looking forward to reading more of your work in the future too. Best wishes. :<)

      Delete
  5. As soon as I leave here I'm going to visit Amazon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think about these books Val! I think you'll enjoy them. :<)

      Delete
  6. I can't wait for garage sales and the treasures I'll find including books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll find any of this series at garage sales yet L, fairly new books but definitely affordable in print and kindle versions at Amazon. You would love a Kindle, I'm pretty sure of that. And they are getting more affordable all the time! :<)

      Delete
  7. I need to get back in my reading habit. This may inspire me to do so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read all the time keith, I feel lost without at least 4-5 books on the go. Now that I have my Kindle, it's already loaded with about 40 books!!! Do you have an ereader? Can't remember if you mentioned that before, when I did my Paperwhite review.

      Delete
  8. I love having a new to me author to check out, thanks.


    BTW great profile shot of you.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give this series a try. Got a ereader yet? ;<) I know you'd love it!!!

      BTW, I have a cookbook review coming up that I know you will LOVE. This cookbook reminded me so much of your beautiful blog and the whole muddy boots dream concept. Stay tuned.

      Delete
    2. PS: Thanks re: my photo! The best part for me is my Fair Isle. ;<)

      Delete
    3. You are stunning woman, claim it, and live it!

      I am looking forward to the cookbook review.

      Jen

      Delete
  9. I know but I'll never buy someone I haven't read ever. I'd like to try a low cost version first if I like it though I have no problem buying the series on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about my Kindle (one of many things actually) price of books is so much more affordable than print copies. And I can carry around 100's of books in one slim little package too. ;<)

      Delete
  10. It kind of sounds good, but I love the physicality of books..maybe I can d both when or if I have money I may buy a kindle just how expensive is it and how do you put t he books you like in....or do they have all kinds of authors and you can choose books or are you the one who has to insert it in? and how in the world do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Kindle Paperwhite cost 139. in Canada and from all the books I've already read (mostly free or less than 2.) it's already paid for itself in about a month's time! There is nothing to downloading books. When you get your Kindle (mine from Amazon.ca) you get an acct. to keep track of purchases, downloads etc, and when you chose an ebook, you just click purchase (that's the same for the freebies too) and voila, a couple of minutes later, it's on your Kindle. If you don't happen to have it on at the time, it will download the book, the next time you do and are connected to wireless internet. I usually don't use wireless, but for Kindle and all ebooks, that is something you need. Very easy and definitely non-techie, once you get a few basics down pat.

      Amazon rep. in the US told me last week that Kindle Fire may also be avail. in Canada in the not too distant future. that one has color capability! Maybe I'll need an upgrade/change by then. ;<) I am SO loving my Kindle.

      Hope this helps. G

      Delete
  11. I love a good mystery Geraldine!! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith, glad you enjoyed it. I'm not much of a mystery fan usually but I did enjoy this series. :<)

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...