Sunday, October 11, 2015

A Body at Bunco (Myrtle Clover cozy mystery series, book 8 )







When I noted this cozy mystery by Elizabeth Spann Craig (click to visit her site/blog) at Amazon recently, it was the word "bunco" in the title that caught my attention first.  

Many years ago, my mom hosted bunco parties. 
At that time, I was a little girl, sneaking out of bed to see what was going on with all these ladies moving around our living room and porch, the tables, the treats...what a nice memory it brought to mind. :-)

And In case you haven't heard of BUNCO, it's a dice party game that is apparently still quite popular now.


A Body at Bunco was a real treat and Myrtle Clover is my kind of main character.

 Myrtle is spunky, sassy, opinionated (in a good way) and lives life on her own terms. 

And In spite of being in her 80s, she is not portrayed as some achy, whining older woman (which has all too often been the case in other books I've read), who is past doing anything constructive or exciting, Myrtle is still living life full-tilt and making the most of every day! ;-)

The story has LOTS of twists and turns and red herrings left along the way. Had me guessing who the real killer(s) was too, I like that. I don't like stories with obvious finales almost right from the start, that are too obvious.

Another plus with this series, the stories can be read in any order. Too often books in a series don't make sense, unless they are read in order from book 1...I appreciate that. 


I will definitely be reading more from the Myrtle Clover series! :-) Just delightful.  


Overall rating for this book: Very Good. 4 out of 5

12 comments:

  1. Excellent review, sounds like a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cover of the book, it reminded me of the cat detective books, have you read any of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover IS great, I agree. Captures the theme so well. And yes, I LOVE cat detective stories too, do you have any to suggest? There is a cat in this book too, and of course, she is very wise. :-) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent review, Geraldine...sounds like a book I would really enjoy reading.
    I hadn't heard of bunco before. It sounds a fascinating game!
    Many thanks.:)

    Have a great day! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A game of pure luck apparently but still very popular. I think the whole bunco "night" idea is a big part of the appeal. Food, drinks, friends AND dice...what's not to love. Thanks for stopping in Y! I love your name.

      Delete
  5. I like your blog - will be back to read some of your reviews. thanks for your visit Geraldine. The set up here looks easy to find a certain type of product you are reviewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for visiting here and your kind comments Sandy. I have tried to set up MRLR so it is easy to access the reviews on the sidebar. Unfortunately, Blogger took away the link capability a while ago so newer reviews are not linked, but a quick search of the product name will bring up the review.

      I really enjoyed your blog too, I'll be back. :-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Geraldine - I still have "linking" abilities - if you are talking about adding to the side bar blog list. Is that what u mean. If so - for awhile I couldn't do it - a few days, but now I can. Maybe u are talking about something else. have a great weekend.

      Delete
    3. Oh, thanks for sharing this, I'll try again when I have my next review to post. It's been non functional for a long time, I just gave up trying to use it.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for these kind words, Geraldine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Elizabeth, thanks for stopping in and commenting. I'm looking forward to more Myrtle adventures!!! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...