Thursday, May 15, 2014

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin (Griffin estate edition)





Do you remember reading the book: Black Like Me as a teenager? I do. 

I read the first edition of this book, while I was in high school, living here in Canada. 

It touched me deeply at the time and now, reading it again this past week, in this new updated edition, it touched me even more as an adult. Reading and contemplating the story of Griffin's amazing journey to the deep South of the US in late 1959; a white man disguised (with the use of drugs, sunlamp treatments and make-up) as a black man.

What came to mind as I finished reading this book for the second time, was the incredible and hard-to-imagine courage that John Howard Griffin showed, in taking on this project. He certainly could have been killed. And he did endure injury and repeated threats to himself and to his family because of what he did and for many years to follow.


I found the additional information in this new estate edition, about Griffin's life, fascinating too. I did not realize that he had been blind for 10 years, earlier in life and also that he died at the relatively early age of 60.

His was a life that mattered. 

I hope that it is still on reading lists in schools. Does anyone know if it is?
The relevance of what he did and his place in US history,will never die.

Overall rating for this book/Ebook: Excellent. 5 out of 5. 

13 comments:

  1. Geraldine, it's so ironic you posted a review about this book because I was just talking with someone at work about it last week and telling them that I had read it in high school. And what an amazing book it was! Yes, it touched me as well.

    "I did not realize that he had been blind for 10 years, earlier in life and also that he died at the relatively early age of 60."

    Wow...I didn't realize that either!?

    Excellent review, my friend. As usual!

    P.S. I don't know whether you knew this but there was also a movie made from this book. Jame Whitmore played the main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is an amazing coincidence Ron. I hope that this book is still being read by high school students everywhere, as well as adults too. It is still a very relevant book and although it's a very difficult story to read, I thought that it was so well written too.

      I did not know about the movie, have you seen it?

      Thanks for your kind words Ron.

      Delete
  2. This is an excellent review, as always.

    I always wanted to read this book and now I want to read it even more, after reading your review. I plan to read this new edition right away. Sounds like there is some interesting additional info in this newer version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a worthwhile book to read. I hope you do read it soon. I think you'll find it very interesting albeit disturbing too.

      Delete
  3. That is one book I'd like to find...who knows what the future holds, glad you got to read in school, unless it was translated in French, I would have missed out....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got this copy via our Inter-library loan service, at our local library. I'm so glad I re-read it and plan to look for more of this author's books too. He was a prolific writer.

      Delete
  4. well can you believe it' s on Amazon.com, which I will buy....the cover is different but...1959 the year I was born...gotta get it, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. just bought it, i love history from a witness point of view, always bought those books, this came to 16.00 I think with the shipping. this is one book I want to read. Thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find this a very worthwhile book Lorraine. Difficult to read given all that Griffin went through and exposed but very enlightening too. Glad my review piqued your interest to check it out.

      Delete
  6. I have heard of this book but hadn't read it. It sounds very eye-opening, as it was written during a time of widespread racial discrimination in the south. I am wondering if there are any documentaries on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is also a film based on this book Keith as Ron mentions above but I don't know about documentaries. If you haven't read this book Keith, I think you'd find it very interesting and worthwhile. An extraordinary story about an amazing man.

      Delete
    2. Oops my comment went away, thanks G for talking about this book, I've read so many books about race discrimination , just about every Holocaust survivors' book ...all about black slavery, but i have never read about a white man purposely turning black to really see, to really know only to return home white and completely judged and discriminated against, broke my heart..It's a must read book..thank you for the review and KEITH YOU WANT TO BUY THIS BOOK, I GOT IT AT AMAZON.CA

      Delete
  7. oh my gosh the courage it took..and then, well you know what i\ don't want to spoil from anyone...\\\

    Here's another one for you G. a kindle book: Twelve Years A Slave, by Solomon Northup you don't want to miss it, it just enhances 'Black like me'

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...