Thursday, June 9, 2016

Some Of My Fav Beach Reads (Mini Reviews)






Whether it's at the beach, in the backyard or just lounging on the sofa, for me, summertime would not be complete without plenty of beach/summer- themed books.


Here are some mini reviews of just a few of my fav beach reads (old and new) that I have enjoyed over the years. 


And if you have a favorite summer book(s) to share, please do! I'm always looking for new ones to try. ;-)





The Tour is a story set in Ireland, about a group of people on a guided tour. 

I read this story recently and finished it in a couple of days. From the great cover to the last page, I really enjoyed it.

Top marks to the author for very believable, memorable and often quirky characters.

The story moves along at a fairly good pace although there were a couple of times when I found myself skimming a few of the details re, Corlene. She was my least favorite character. Conor my favorite.

I will definitely check out more books from this author too.



A Haunted Murder is one of the best cozy mysteries I've read in a long time!

I love all things Cape Cod so right off the bat I was interested in reading this story, based on Nantucket. 

The story is original and engaging. The characters are believable and well developed. I love the ghost/spirit aspect of the story too, as someone who has also had numerous interactions with the spirit world and know that things like this DO happen in real life.





Murder on Cape Cod is another Cape Cod-themed story. 

It has a lot of twists and turns and red herrings along the way. 

I also enjoyed the 'bridge' element to the story although it once again reminded me that this is NOT a card game I'd ever personally take on!!! ;-)

Characters were well developed and believable.

I kept tapping my kindle pages right to the end and for the most part, really enjoyed the story. I did figure out who the killer was before the end though, but that was ok too.

Towards the end, I did think it was getting to be a tad too long, but overall definitely worth reading.





Life's A Beach, Then You Die is a book that I read in a couple of afternoons, during a recent summer when it was too hot to be productive and I wasn't feeling at all energetic.

It is a fun beach read. The characters are quirky, believable and rather original too.

It did get a bit repetitious as some Amazon reviewers have mentioned and by the end of the story I was ready to "wrap it up" and move on to another book.

Overall though, a fun, relaxing and entertaining way to wile away a few hours. 




Every summer, I re-read the following two books.  

Two of my all-time favorite books and both make perfect choices for relaxing summer reading.



       
     

Beachcombing at Miramar by Richard Bode

I bought this book several years ago and after reading it once, proceeded to immediately buy numerous copies to give away as gifts. I was that impressed.

One close friend carried this book around in her purse for weeks. When she needed a ’stress break’ she would pull it out to enjoy a peaceful page or two. 

Another friend stayed up all night, not able to put the book down until the last page was enjoyed. I can relate, it really is that good.

For me, this was a life-changing book and one that touched me deeply.  

The story of Richard Bode’s journey from the rat race to a peaceful and contemplative life on a California beach at Miramar. A dream that for most people remains just that. Bode went for it. Gave up his high-paying, high-pressure job and left behind the life he had always known (including a marriage that wasn’t working any more) to find himself. To live out his dream of a life filled with meaningful and one- of- a -kind “memory” days.
Beautifully written, this is a book you will never forget. A rare glimpse and chance to share an extraordinary life transition along with the author. 

I highly recommend this book to add to your summer reading list, if you haven’t read it already.



Summer’s Lease by John Mortimer

If lighter reading with plenty of laughs is what you are looking for; perhaps this next one will be more your cup/glass of iced tea. ;-)

This is the travel journal of an English family embarking on a trip to the Tuscany region of Italy. 

Mother Molly: plump, disillusioned with her marriage and the demands of motherhood, decides to respond to a rather cryptic newspaper ad for a Italian vacation rental. She takes a rather bold step (for her) and rents a “villa” in Tuscany for the summer and so begins the tale.

As one reviewer on Amazon so aptly put it:
 ” A delicious Italian dish; sun-drenched and garlic-scented novel” .

If you are looking for a fun, entertaining and well-written summer novel with a touch of suspense, mystery, romance and even strange water-shortages abounding….. you may want to give this one a try.


Happy Reading and Have a Great Summer! :-)





20 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people who cannot read on the beach - that was when I used to visit the beach, of course. I think I was too wrapped up in people watching. Neither Joe nor I were into sunbathing. He wanted to see the sights and I had to follow suit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the great thing about "beach reads" is that you can read them anywhere! I'm a true beach person myself, I love it all: the water, swimming, reading, people watching, picnics...I'm guessing you have some amazing beaches near where you live Val.

      Delete
  2. i think you know i am not a reader but i am a lover of the water and beach!! it's really nice that you do these wonderful reviews for readers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can so relate to loving the water and beach Debbie! I hope you have a splendid summer, in every way. :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I also love the beach more than reading. Sadly my reading has gone by the wayside, replaced by electronics. A very interesting blog you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kden, I enjoyed your blog too! I love to read and now it's usually on my Kindle Fire. I don't know what I did without an eReader. ;-)

      Delete
  4. They all look good! I don't go to the beach, but love books like the ones you have picked for Sunday afternoons on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy one or more of these soon Sandy. Let me know if you do!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful summer post. I've read Beachcombing at Miramar and really enjoyed it. Plan to read a few more of these too. It's the time for summer books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: Like that palm tree clip art, so cool. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my re-read of Beachcombing...and Summer's Lease, already this summer. Still enjoy both of them so much, after all these years.

      I thought the palm clip art was so cute too! ;-)

      Delete
  7. thanks for the review. i need to sit down and read a good book. it's been awhile since i've read one i couldn't put down. hope all is well. have a great night~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to "see" you again!! I hope my recommendations are helpful.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow...thank you so much for these...I'm especially interested in "Haunted Murder"...sounds like my ideal read.
    Must obtain a copy before I go on tour again in two weeks' time! :)

    Love & Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you Ygraine and happy reading. :-)

      Delete
  9. I loved some of Barbara Kingsolver's books I read in the past and ..wow so many now that their names escape me. I particularly remember Pat Conroy Beach Music. Anyway enjoyed your reviews of the books. I haven't read a book on the beach in years - maybe its' time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations Sandy, the Beach Music sounds intriguing. It's always a good time for a beach read! :-)

      Delete
  10. Hey G. it's been a while and ps I'm opening a Shop Blog again, the only things is I will ask for cash Canadian, I have great books, magazines, Holocaust survivors, The Titanic, Summer Books Like Shell Seekers, and all sorts of gems, because of my agoraphobia, I CAN'T really list with ebay or amazon both of which have asked me if I wanted to list items, but don't have have a car, so I'll ask for Canadian cash, one less trip to make. I have great stuff to sell, just letting you know...I'll open it soon, don't quit know how, but what I have to sell is really worth it, of course I'll have to go the the P.O. but maybe once a month I'll send out the purchases hopefully some, and I'll trust you all to send the moneycash, when you can this will be a very easy and casual pay me when you get it stuff, of course including the mailing. Not sure of anything but hey it's worth a try, I hope things are looking really good for you, hang in there G.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...