Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Best Meditations On The Planet by Dr. Martin Hart and Skye Alexander

 
 
 
 
I've been interested in the practise of meditation for a long time.
 
I can't say that I've been faithful to meditating on a daily basis over the years. But I know that when I do meditate; I feel better, sleep better, feel calmer...and the small investment in time required has always been worthwhile.
 
I recently read: The Best Meditations on the Planet by Dr. Martin Hart and Skye Alexander and I was impressed by this book for a number of reasons.
 
For many people, meditation seems like something that is just too much of an effort, time consuming, hard to understand and perhaps even a bit too "new age" to appeal.
 
The Best Meditations on the Planet demystifies the practise of meditation so that anyone can try it and find out just how much it can impact their lives in positive and long- term ways. And unlike a lot of books and articles on meditation that I've read previously, this book provides many ways to meditate and for dozens of purposes.
                                            
 
Some of the varied and interesting meditation topics included in this book:
 
-Improve Your Athletic Ability
-End Ties that Bind
-Focus on Forgiveness
-Quiet the Voice of Fear
-Release Stress at the End of the Day
-Release Performance Anxiety
 
 
and many more, providing a range that will be of interest to people of all ages, depending on their own particular needs.
 
The book is well organized. It's easy to find a meditation that's just right  at any given time in life.
 
This is a user-friendly approach to meditation that will be especially of value to anyone who's ever considered or perhaps tried meditation in the past but gave up when they couldn't seem to "get it". With this gentle, easy-to-understand approach, meditation is something that anyone can now experience and enjoy, for years to come.
 
A visually attractive book, making it a great idea for gift-giving too. And who doesn't know someone who is super-stressed and would appreciate a truly, thoughtful gift like this book? And one that provides numerous ways to easily facilitate and incorporate much needed "me" time into their daily routine.
 
The authors make the suggestion to record favorite meditations if this helps with the visualization process that is part of most meditations. I think that is a great idea.
 
I have also suggested to author: Skye Alexander that a CD to accompany this book or to be sold separately with some of the meditations recorded on it, would be most helpful too. Hopefully this is something that the authors will consider adding in the future, as a valuable tool for enjoying this book to the fullest.
 
If you've always meditated or even if you've never tried it before but always wondered about meditation; this is a book you won't want to miss.
 
Stop by Skye Alexander's site to read more about this book and to browse her many other wonderful books and articles, written on a wide range of topics. Also available at Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle formats.
 
Overall rating for this book: Excellent. 5 out of 5.
 
 

32 comments:

  1. Excellent review, as usual. There are a lot of meditation books out there, sounds like this is the one to read first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy it and find it helpful, Joseph. Best regards, Skye

      Delete
  2. Thank you m'dear, I need it so badly, I will buy the second I can, thank you so mmuch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meditation is one of the best things you can do for yourself--and it's absolutely free. In this stressful world, we all need a little help. Be well.

      Delete
  3. oo oo def adding this one to the list...sounds like a winner to me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy my book and find it useful. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, Brian. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
    2. ah thank you skye...i am def interested as i am a firm believer in meditation....

      Delete
  4. Hi Joe, I agree. Very comprehensive coverage of the topic and very user friendly too.

    Hi Lorraine, Don't we all! I hope you do get a copy, I think you'd find it most helpful.

    Hi Brian, It is a winner. I was happy to find out about this excellent book.

    Hi Patrycja, Glad you enjoyed your visit to MRLR, hope to see you here again.

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again, Geraldine, for such a great review, and for sharing your thoughts about my book with your readers. I'd be interested to hear from any of them--hope everyone who reads it finds something useful and enjoyable there. And thanks, too, for your suggestion about a CD--good idea. Namaste.

      Delete
  5. That looks like a book I can really get into....

    Thanks for the great review.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Jen. I really wanted it to be accessible and enjoyable, and to offer something for just about everyone.

      Delete
  6. this is something I need to master, I have tried and tried but I have never been very successful, I did feel better for the time I did practice trying, even somewhat successful, I will look for this book,

    thank you for visiting today,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meditation comes in many forms, as I discuss in my book. Some people have more success with active meditations instead of just sitting and focusing on their breathing. You might want to try some of the ones offered here. Even if you only spend 10 minutes a day, you'll reap benefits. Don't try too hard, just enjoy!

      Delete
    2. thankyou, I will take your advice!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for such a great review on The Best Meditations On The Planet, which is something new for me this year. I agree that the cover is very nice :}. Another wonderful book you might enjoy is actually a novel by George Makris entitled, "Quest for the Lost Name." The story is a romantic adventure wrapped into a mystery in which the main character must go through personal growth and transformation. I found it to be very enlightening and inspirational and highly recommend it. You can find the author's website here: http://questforthelostname.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can try meditation this year, Lauren. It's really easy and makes such a big difference--even if you only do it for 10 minutes a day, I think you'll start feeling more relaxed. Thanks for complimenting the cover of my book. The inside photos are really nice, too.

      Delete
  8. Hi Jen, Hope you check this one out, I think you'll find it most helpful. Love your new avatar photo. ;<)

    Hi Laurie, I can so relate. With the advice in this book and the many types of meditation themes included, I've been giving it another try and successfully too. I feel more relaxed already.

    I love your artwork, always glad to find another great blog to visit.

    Hi Lauren, It is a great cover, I agree. I'll check that book out your suggesting, thanks!

    Happy Weekend, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you're feeling more relaxed, Geraldine. And thanks for complimenting my book's cover. I like the great photos inside, too, and the pretty interior design. Hope you're enjoying a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  9. I just bought it and I can't wait to practice, I've always reduced my medication and maybe this can help me reduce it more, thank you m'dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find it helpful, Lorraine. Hundreds of studies show meditation is "good medicine" for all sorts of problems, especially stress-related ones. May it benefit you, too.

      Delete
  10. Yes, I agree. Geraldine does a very nice job and offers lots of info and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds interesting... I will have to check this book out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do. I'm eager to hear your feedback. Thanks for considering my book.

      Delete
  12. Hi Lorraine, So glad you've already bought a copy. I think you'll find this book even more helpful than you expected. It really is full of great ideas how to incorporate meditation into our lives in easy, understandable ways.

    Hi Rumpy, I hope you do.

    Hi Skye, How nice of you to stop by and to respond to everyone's comments. Love it!

    Happy Week, G :<)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Skye, it is truly appreciated, for a second I thought I know her name, why is that ....duh do I need your book lol

    Hey G.I need more than Ineed food...I am that desperate...so thanks my dear friend for bringing it to my attention and thank you Skye and Dr. Hart
    heart...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that blogger is smartening up I think that when I get the book and I get going, I will open a blog, on how I can't medidate, how broken I am, how I have accepted it, and then I will everyday well if I can reach a chapter see what I get out of it, and how it helped or not. I'm a hard case, I'm agoraphobic, I have a social phobia that could kill, I'm a 100% introvert, and I'll tell the truth about how It affects me. I tell the truth though always, Idon't lie, I don't tell half-truth, s I'm asking here I'm asking Skye, if she'd rather I didn't and it's perfectly all right to say no.My concentration is gone, I get irritated..And so far nothing has helped. So I could be negative, or I could learn a lot. I really don't know, I'm leaving it up to you Skye, do you mind if Iopen such a blog, while letting people n that I'm a mess, no doctor,no psychologist, no psychiatrist, no pills although I take same it's been reduced. And I will let people know that I'm a hard shell to crack, that Idon't trust anymore, that I've been too hurt too broken and that chances are that your book might do me no good. I've you'd rather I don't I won't...and of course G. I would like your opinion as well....You know I can't live without my medicine but nothing would make me happier than not taking any. But I can't keep on suffocating

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lorraine, I think writing, whether it's in a blog or journal, can be very therapeutic. A blog can be a good way for introverts to reach out to people in a non-threatening way. And hundreds of studies show that meditation can benefit almost anyone. Sharing your experiences with others may help them as well as you.Best wishes and good luck in your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ithank you Skye It has helped me more than I ever thought possible me and my social phobia, through meditation of listening to morning birds and breathing has made me love my apt, this is unbelievable it is the best meditation book ever, and if it can help me, oh boy it can help every one, so again from the bottom of my very hurt soul, I bless you...and will open my new blog called Social Phobia and Agoraphobia L

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Skye, I finally got around to it, no easy for me but I have a blog, it's called:
    http://agoraphobiaandsocialphobial.blogspot.ca/ accompanied by The Best Meditations on the planet...I don't follow chapters, but I started with the Safe Harbor 'cause all form of waters so much, and it's wonderful but I won't say anything more if you get this message and you'd like to visit, you'd be very welcome , as of course our brilliant hostess Geraldine, ahhh sigh

    ReplyDelete
  18. and dear Skye again I couldn't do it too personal and too late but it has helped me in ways I never imagined, I'm agoraphobic and have a huge social phobia and since I've started reading and doing some of the meditations I didn't know how it was working through me. I hated leaving the house, I hated my apt. and suddenly out of nowhere I'M home I love it I never want to leave it, it's home like I haven't felt in a long time and I owe it to you and the doc, Bless you both, and of course Geraldine, always, she is THE BEST REVIEWER EVER

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Geraldine - I really need to spend more time looking through all you offer with your reviews, etc. Winter is coming and i will have more time to be inside. I like this review on meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy lots of my reviews Sandy! I love writing reviews, here and at Amazon, I'm kind of amazed how many I've written over the years, they do add up!!! I'm always on the lookout for new products to try and books to read.

      Have a super weekend, G and Mr. C!!!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...