Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Deadly Readings by Laura Bradford



About the only "plus" of being sick (as I was last week) is having lots of time to do nothing but read or knit, without feeling guilty. ;<) 
 
 I was feeling too lazy to even knit most of the time, so instead I napped and read a LOT of eBooks, including:
 
 
 
The cover and title of this book got my attention right away. And the story itself did not disappoint, I loved this book!
 
 
From the Amazon product page:
 
The Jersey Shore has always been known for warm sand, lively boardwalks, and the promise of carefree summer days. This season the small scenic town of Ocean Point, New Jersey, is not nearly as carefree as tourists would hope. The discovery of the body of a young woman is the first in a string of seemingly random and senseless murders, murders connected only by a warning from the same boardwalk fortune-teller.

It’s a crisis that puts local detective Mitch Burns on edge, and his job in jeopardy. It’s up to him to solve the crimes and protect the livelihood of the town, a livelihood that relies almost entirely on tourists. With the help of newly hired local reporter Elise Jenkins, the two step out to discover who the killer is, before another body is found.

 
 
I read this eBook in a couple of afternoons. It kept my attention to the very last page. Suspense, romance, intrigue...and up until the last couple of chapters, I had NOT guessed who the real killer was. I like that. Nothing too predictable here.
 
 
Laura Bradford is an excellent writer. Her characters are realistic and easy to visualize. The story moved along at a good pace, with no filler or lag time, which has been too often the case with some other stories I've been reading recently.
 
 
A couple of  reviewers at Amazon did make negative comments about the religious undertone of this book but I disagree. I am not an overly religious person and I don't like being "preached" to in a story of any kind. That REALLY turns me off and in a big way. But I didn't find the religious references in Deadly Readings over the top or superfluous. They were a part of the story that fit. 
 
 
I just noted that this eBook is available for FREE over at Amazon right now, so a great time to get a copy. I am definitely going to check out more of this author's books in the very near future. Based on this story, I'm guessing they'll be well worth the time too.
 
 
Overall rating for this book: Very Good. 4 out of 5. 




 
 


21 comments:

  1. Excellent review, Geraldine, because you said so much about the book in so few words, and hit on so many 'key' points!

    "The story moved along at a good pace, with no filler or lag time, which has been too often the case with some other stories I've been reading recently."

    Me as well. I prefer a book that moves along at a good pace with little filler.

    And I LOVE the book cover! That alone would make me want to pick it up and read the cover jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind word Ron. I know when I'm reading reviews myself, if they are too long, wordy or don't get my attention with some key points quickly, I'm on to something else. I try to write concise and honest reviews here at MRLR. The positive feedback I've received about my work in the past couple of years has made it so worthwhile. The goodies I get in the mail help too. ;<)

      I LOVE this book cover too. And in this case, you CAN tell a book by it's cover. ;<)

      Delete
    2. jGosh what are you doing to me first I'm now an auburn almost redhead to busy uploading books forgot I had put in a brown highlight of some kind it took me a while to remember 'cause I was busy uploading books on my kindle look at me, from 3 am to now I've been uploading books like crazy...ahhhhh that's why i can't have a box of chocolate, or cookies or anything else, I have an addictive personality...darn i have nothing to eat well only for one day tomorrow and then I have money of course forget the MC I probably went over....oh lord forgive my gluttony

      Delete
  2. Excellent review. I love the cover of this book too. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is my 4th comment darn it, love kindle, no more garage sales, no more stinking books,,thanks so much now let's see if this comment will hold then i'll go purchase the freeby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is acting crazy in a number of ways lately. Yesterday, I tried to change the colors here, for the header etc, it wouldn't let me. And the sidebar links, still can't add any links there either...what gives? I don't know why they do these things? :<(

      No more stinking books! Lorraine, you have done a 360 on this topic, that's for sure. :<) Enjoy that Kindle. What one did you get: Paperwhite, Fire...?

      Delete
    2. hum...black and white, 5 x 7 approx...i bought a charger as well so far I've read two books and I haven't had to charge it...but I assume I will know when it needs charging and \i got of free multilingual books, I can read spanish a little, i don't know why they're in my library I didn't buy them fits in my hand comfortably and I start reading and I don't stop. So i'm trying to keep my morning for yukky cleaning duties but overall I'm thrilled and usually i just lick to the bottom left to change page, and much to my surprise there were two words I didn't know the meaning and all you have to do is click and you have the full definition how cool is that and when it's on numb it doesn't uncharge and it's pretty sometimes it's just a lot of books other time the screen is pencils with erasers...I'm charging it right now into the wall since I think I should leave it a few hours 'cause \i don't \i exhausted the battery yet but \i did by the battery with it it wasn't expensive...no more stinking book lol

      Delete
  4. they told me i had to go to amazon.ca but hey it was free there too, i'll have to look at your previous freebies, if they still exist, thanks so much for getting me on this oh it's wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I say it just once Lorraine "I TOLD YOU SO"!!! There, that's out of my system. Just kidding my dear, but I KNEW if you got a Kindle you would love it. A bit of a learning curve to begin with with setting up collections on it, etc...but amazon staff has been just great when I contacted them, usually by phone when I have a ??

      Yes, most of the freebies are on all the sites, when they are posted, .com, .ca, .uk...

      I hope you'll download some of my books too as time goes by! I think you'd enjoy the kindle version of Haiku Reflections in particular with the added color photos. I actually enjoy reading MORE on my Kindle than with print books now, amazing but true. And like you, I was a confirmed paper book lover for a LONG time. Never say never.

      Happy Reading L!

      Delete
  5. I love the cover! :-) Thanks for the review.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great cover and story too. Thanks for stopping in. :<)

      Delete
  6. I hope that you are feeling much better now, and think of all the books you have to review.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I am feeling better. This flu really through me for a loop 'cause I'm not one to get sick. I can't stand wasting time but I guess reading and relaxing shouldn't be considered wasting time, when you are sick LOL. I DO have a lot of books to review. Hope all is well with you too.

      Delete
  7. oooh i love a free kindle book and you make it sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They are kind of irresistible aren't they?

      Delete
  8. No kidding and if ever there was a 'I told you so" this is it, can't visit more this morning but I will def buy your books on my kindle and \i'll the ched later I have two minutes to take a bath go see my doctor,....i have no time will visit later hasta la vista ms reviewer-convinver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with everything today L. And I just had to kid you a bit about the Kindle 'cause it was exactly how I felt about ereaders for a long time too. Now I love them and can't image NOT having a Kindle. Take care and see you later over at Veggies...too.

      Delete
  9. I decided this morning I won't read. Because when I start I crash on the couch only get up to feed the cat...so no, now I read in the afternoon, so that i can empty (I bought 2 new litters) i Have to wash the dishes, look for a house, because the noise here is getting worse and worse and shouting matches and police coming over oh crap anyhoo at least i have my kindle so thank yo thank you thankyou but \i have to do the dishes, don't wan't too

    ReplyDelete
  10. and the best no more stinking book from garage sales and I've even noticed from favourites authors whose books go up to 12 dollars and shipping becomes quickly 17.00 and then if not canadian theres a conversion ....I can't...I checked and I can order even my favourites for 5 or 7 dollars, no shipping just downloading unto my little kindle, that will save me a lot of money in the long run ...being as stubborn as I am, I discovered 'caused me way too much, so I'll repeat thank you, thank you, thank you...just let me know when your books are ready to be download to my kindle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I've just bought The Litigators and a Haiku book Four Seasons from a lady called Geraldine, I remember reading something from her before and I loved it....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...