Monday, February 8, 2016

The Company You Keep (DVD, Instant Download)


The Company You Keep



I finally got around to seeing this movie from 2013, the other night. I'm always "late" when it comes to seeing new movies it seems. ;-)

Unfortunately, it was a big disappointment.  I expected a LOT better from Robert Redford, one of my all-time fav actors. It fell well short of the mark and for so many reasons.

So many things in this story didn't add up, here are just a couple of examples: 

The FBI is looking for Nick (the character that Robert Redford plays) for over 30 years on a murder charge and can't find him with all their resources, technology etc..but a young, brash reporter does a few clicks on Google and voila, all is revealed. Come on!!!

Having Robert Redford as the biological father of a very young girl made him look even older than usual. Could they not have made it just a bit believable by having his daughter at least in her teens or as her step-dad perhaps. He looked like a grandpa or great grandpa in this one. SO sad.

He supposedly commits this murder of a bank guard in the 70s, in the daytime, at a bank when he's not even there. Again, come on!!! I'm pretty sure they had video cameras in the 70s in places like banks at least, how could they screw this up so badly?

The lack of chemistry between Julie Christie (she's still so beautiful) and Robert Redford was painful to watch. Two great actors but no sparks at all!

There were more faux pas, but that was enough to totally discredit this movie,  for me.

Robert Redford has made some wonderful movies: The Way We Were, The Natural, The Horse Whisperer... this isn't one of them. Maybe time to give directing and acting a miss. Leave a legacy of quality work instead of drivel like this one.

If you have seen this movie, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it! 

Overall rating for this product: Unsatisfactory. 1 out of 5

PS: Have any of you with Blogger blogs had problems adding links to your sidebar? 

I can't figure out why I'm no longer able to add links (and not just review titles) to the categories on the sidebar. If you can help with this, thanks so much! :-)

18 comments:

  1. Excellent review and I couldn't agree more. This movie was a big disappointment coming from someone as talented as Robert Redford. You could drive a truck through the holes in this plot.

    You are not missing anything if you give this one a pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Joe, could have definitely given this one a miss. Surprising too, given RR other movies I have really enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. Good review - i enjoyed reading it. I haven't seen the movie. The most recent movie I saw was "An Unfinished Life" by him with Jennifer Lopez in it. I think i saw it on Netflix and can't remember what year it was made. It was okay - i did enjoy it but didn't feel the need to recommend it to anybody so I guess it was just so so. I think I'll pass on the one you just reviewed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy.

      I'm not a big fan of Jennifer Lopez, so I'd probably give that one a miss too.

      Have a great week, G

      Delete
  3. Geraldine, it's so ironic you posted a review about this movie because I just recently saw an interview with Susan Sarandon in which she spoke about the film and working with Redford. She talked more about the process of working on the film, than her feelings on what the end result was.

    I was very tempted to see it because I love anything Sarandon is in and I've always enjoyed Redford. But after reading your review, I may skip it. Or just wait until I spot in on Hulu and watch it for free.

    It's a shame about the film though, because the cast is amazing!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback, my friend. Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Susan Sarandon too Ron, I think she's a fine actress. She was good in this movie (as is usually the case) but that didn't help with the plot issues, overall.

      If you DO watch this film at some point, let me know what you think.

      Have a super week too Ron, G

      Delete
  4. Hey G. i thought you left, glad you're back, good to know, I don't have money to spend on bad movies...I don't even have money to spend on good movies lol good to know you're back! catch up eventually, my laptop is being an ass....it wants me to go back IE and I'm fighting it all the way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still blogging Lorraine, just not at my two WP blogs.

      Here, here about $$ spent on "bad" movies. I love to find the kind of films that I DO want to watch more than once, those are well worth the time and $$. Not the case with this one, unfortunately.

      I gave up on IE a long time ago too, I like Chrome just fine. I was a reluctant convert but it was a good choice after all. ;-)

      Delete
  5. i saw this movie and remember it to be ok/good. perhaps i have lowered my standards!!! we rent on redbox, 1.50 per night....i feel movies in general, lately, have not been good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't for me Debbie, I don't like movies with a lot of "holes" in the plot, this one had one too many to ignore IMO.

      I actually LOVE old movies from the 40s and 50s best of all. I have loved them since I was a kid. And when you consider how much less money, time and technical stuff they had to work with then, these were truly "crafted" films for the most part. That kind of "magic" is hard to find now in newer movies.

      It's great to find a new movie that i DO like though and that does happen now and then, but not often.

      Are you a fan of the "golden oldies" by chance? A popular period of film history for so many people it seems. I'm a big TCM fan!!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks, I won't bother with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you blogging again Sandy and thanks for your comment. :-)

      Delete
  7. I don't like movies much, I don't even have cable, what I love are series, the fun thing is you pay once and then you can watch as often as you want but most importantly there is information and bloopers and things that you could never imagine...Except for 'Philadelphia' I don't really like movies unless it's an end of the world, or super action without robots for heaven's sake lol but talking about end of the world best of the best book ever: Swan Song by Robert McCammon, you won't be able to put it down huge book though, but I highly recommend it. For pure smart, funny, hilarious books with romance, you can't beat My favourite of all Susan Elizabeth Phillips, sometimes I laugh so hard my neighbours hit the ceiling...you'd love her

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to watch a good movie but only dads here too, wouldn't spend the money for cable. Don't watch any regular tv either, Coronation Street was the last tv show I gave up on, watched it for so many years but the quality was getting lower and lower in recent years.

      I agree a series can be fun, if you can find one you really like. Sounds like you have Lorraine.:-)

      Delete
    2. That should say dvds NOT dads, Google is choosing words for me again as I type this on my Kindle Fire.

      Delete
  8. I haven't watched a movie for years. Perhaps there's something wrong with me. Actually I don't watch much television either, there's always something more interesting to do elsewhere in the house. I love the radio though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of a long, busy day, I find watching a good movie very relaxing. But it's got to be worth the time, this move wasn't.

      Nice of you to stop by Val. Sending more hugs your way. Take care.

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...