Sunday, January 3, 2016

How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months by John Locke




As an indie author, I have read a LOT of kindle marketing books. 
Some good, some so-so and some, just plain bad


John Locke's: How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months falls into the GOOD category and for a number of reasons.

First of all, this is an author who really can show that his ideas DO work, not some "pie in the sky" suggestions from someone who has never achieved any success with their own books. 

Locke has definitely done well, going from selling only a few books each month, to thousands and then into the millions on Amazon! And he shares his own success story in a personable and entertaining way.

He also shares not only what worked for him but also what didn't, I appreciated that.
There is only so much time in a day and as a writer, I want to focus on writing and also on marketing strategies that have been proven as worthy of my time. Again, his own background as a very successful author of numerous kindle books gives credibility to his many tips and marketing strategies.

Mr. Locke also mentions (repeatedly) how important his readers and fans are to him and says that he answers all emails personally. He also seemed to sincerely mean that. So I wrote to him after completing the book. I'm still waiting on a reply, but hopefully he will deliver on that promise. :-)

As for the reviews he is suppose to have paid for (as some Amazon reviewers have mentioned) obviously this is not something I agree with or condone. But would that actually account for the kind of phenomenal success that he has achieved as an author? To some small extent perhaps, but it is definitely not the whole story. Whether he is a completely ethical person or not, the fact remains, he does know what works and what doesn't when it comes to book marketing. And he provides a lot more in this book than what most other successful authors/marketers have to share.

One small negative, the formatting of this eBook is not the best. The paragraphs on many pages run together with not even a little space between them. Doesn't add to the presentation and yes, I do think that is important too. A small point though in comparison to the quality content of this eBook.

Overall rating for this eBook: Very Good. 4 out of 5

15 comments:

  1. WOW!!! It is great that he is willing to share his secrets with other writers. I do hope that you will be able to sell many books also.
    I'm afraid that when it comes to reading I am a dinosaur! I like my books in paper form so that I can feel the book in my hand. I have never downloaded books and I do not even own a kindle...but I truly wish you the best of luck in the selling of your eBooks~

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wow indeed Jan, I agree. John Locke is an amazing marketer, that's for sure. This was an excellent how-to guide, I really found it useful. And yes, I do plan to put some of his ideas into play, this year, for my own marketing plans.

      I didn't want an ereader for the longest time but after getting one as a gift, I was hooked. It is so great being able to download millions of titles from amazon, many for free, in seconds usually. I was skeptical too but now I'm an ereader fan big time!!!

      have a great week, G

      Delete
  2. Geraldine, I cannot believe he actually takes the time to respond to his readers and fans emails, that's amazing! And that there just shows what a genuine and sincere guy he is.

    GREAT review, my friend! Very informative and honest.

    And agree with you. Even though I don't condone paid reviews, I don't think it would account for the kind of phenomenal success he has.

    Have a great week! And the best to you in your book publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ron, A number of people have brought up Locke paying for some reviews at Amazon and apparently in the NYT, that I am not impressed by. BUT it certainly is not the whole story, when it comes to his overall success. He is a marketing wiz, that's for sure.

      I still haven't received a reply to my email but I'm guessing his inbox is rather full most days LOL.

      Thanks for stopping by Ron and for your best wishes too, G

      Delete
  3. Hey G. I hope this year brings you what you want where you want it, are you in the NYT now? if so, I know how happy you are, and I'm glad,always, take care of yourself ok? I have grand-daughter on today, I thought I could post at night but no, so here I am back in the morning, and happy belated new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine, it's actually the Yukon, very soon and I can't wait.

      Your granddaughter is just so cute!!! You must be so proud of her. I hope it's a very good year for you, in every way.

      Take care, G

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this review. I had never heard of this book so it's worth looking into. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in and your comment Inchwormart. I'll stop by soon to check out your blog too. :-)

      Delete
  5. Interesting tor read Geraldine. ...Hope you and Mr. Cheddar are going fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy.

      Mr. Cheddar sends a big headbonk your way and I send a hug!!! :-) >^^<

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing this review with us. It sounds very interesting and most of all helpful! It's amazing to me when successful people are willing to share their reasons for their success :)
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lots of hugs to you,
    Beate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying it forward, giving back...I'm a big believer in that Beate. I try to give something every day: tips, hugs, my talents, encouragement....it's all good. And what goes around, comes around, I really believe that.

      And lots of hugs to you and Keith over there in Germany, have a great weekend, G

      Delete
    2. PS I love your new avatar photo Beate, so cool!

      Delete
  7. Excellent review, as always. I thought it was a good point about what you said that he brought up not only what worked but also what didn't, that is important. No one has time to waste on things that don't work. And the proof that he knows what he's doing is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe!

      Yes, it IS important to know not only WHAT works but also what doesn't. Again, as you've said and I have above, who has time to waste? None of us have or should. Time is our most precious commodity of all. I want to focus on marketing that works, not what doesn't. I'm excited about putting some of Locke's ideas into action in 2016! Lots of work but worth it!!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...