Friday, January 22, 2016

Lumosity Brain-Training (Update)


I had taken an extended break from Lumosity in the past few years.

 In a nutshell, I had gotten bored with the same games to play and had to push myself to complete my sessions (I was trying for at least 3 a week). 

But I decided to give it another try in 2015 and I'm SO glad I did. :-)

In the past couple of years, they have added lots of new brain-training games. Most of them are really fun and challenging too. 

And now, if you do get a game in your daily session that you don't like, you have the option of picking from 3 others, to replace it. That I also really like!

Each training session only lasts about 15 minutes, so it's not a big commitment of time. 

But it IS  time well spent. :-) No need to feel guilty about playing these games!

 Brain-training can have a significant, positive and long-term effect on how we think, react and age overall. And for people of all ages, young and old. College students apparently make up a big part of Lumosity's membership (and they have MILLIONS of members, worldwide)! 

My scores are not where they were at previously in 2011, but I am making progress. I hope to reach my previous overall score and exceed it. I love a challenge, especially when I know it is something worthwhile I'm aiming for!

Here's my previous review from 2011:

We all know how important it is to keep our bodies in the best condition possible, which includes regular exercise of various kinds. But how often do we consider giving our brain a regular "workout" to keep it functioning at peak performance, throughout our lives? 

I recently took advantage of a 2 week trial offer for "brain training" with Lumosity.com. I was surprised and pleased by what this company has to offer.

Lumosity.com provides a progressive series of brain exercise programs, tailored to each individuals needs and also to provide ongoing challenges to improve. 


From the Lumosity.com site: Improve Your Brain: Lumosity.com has been clinically proven to support brain health. 


Our users report profound results: faster name recall, greater attention to detail, better concentration, and quicker problem-solving skills.

                          
Areas addressed include: speed, attention, memory,problem solving, flexibility. In each specific category, online games/exercises are offered that are not only helpful and challenging  but a lot of fun too. Progress is individually tracked for each member so that you can monitor where you are doing well and also where there is room for improvement.

I thoroughly enjoyed most of the games I've tried so far, especially the Route to Sprout (helps with navigation skills when driving etc...), Bird Watching(for improving peripheral vision) and Lost In Migration (helps with focusing on one specific task at a time) to name but three of dozens of games to choose from. 

What has been really exciting for me is that after only a couple of weeks of training, I have already noted improvement in real life tasks such as: easily remembering names, being more focused when working on a specific project, being able to perform calculations of all kinds quicker and more accurately...it's been significant.

Lumosity  has millions of members from around the world. 

Their easy to navigate and attractive website and simple sign-up process makes it easy to give their program a try, without risk or with no long-term obligations required. 

They also don't swamp your inbox with a lot of emails you don't want. You can choose to have a weekly or daily reminder to "brain train" sent to you if desired. 

And their support team has quickly answered any questions I've had, with a personal email, not a form reply or the ever-popular "q and a" list. (don't you just hate when they offer those by way of reply?)

Two minor negatives about Lumosity. There were ongoing technical issues with one game I tried to play several times: Penguin Pursuit which last I time I checked still seemed to be acting a bit wonky. Also, the Assessment exams offered to also track progress should in my opinion record a member's latest scores and dates of exams taken. But these are minor in comparison to all the positives I have found over at Lumosity.com.

Monthly, yearly and family plan rates available and IMO, all very reasonable. 

Brain training can be fun and rewarding too, thanks to Lumosity.com.
And isn't exercising your brain (not just your body) important too? I think so!

Overall (updated) rating for this site: Excellent. 5 out of 5

(My previous rating in 2011: Very Good. 4 out of 5)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Geraldine,
    Many thanks for this great post...I have never tried any brain teasers before, so this is a real eye-opener for me.
    I will simply have to give it a go!

    Have a great weekend.:)

    Big Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brain-training can really be helpful for long term brain health/function Ygraine. I'm really glad I went back to Lumosity.

      Let me know if you give it a try. I think you'd love it! :-) Hugs back to you, G

      Delete
  2. Great post and very illuminating...sorry about that...this darn brain of mine.
    There are some good points made here...but I just try to keep my brain stimulated by trying to learn new things, as well as by visual stimulation.
    Still...it is something to think about, Geraldine...thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Jan. I too also try to learn new things on a regular basis etc...all good for the brain, for sure. But when I tried Lumosity, I realized just how many ways are brains can be stimulated: problem solving, speed, memory...and in ways that affect our overall thinking and brain function, positively. BTW, I just finished my Lumosity workout today, it was a lot of fun and I went up a few points too. :-)

      Have a great weekend, G

      Delete
  3. Geraldine, I have heard/read about Lumosity several years ago on a blog I used to read. And she shared the same RAVES about the website and how it really helped her brain.

    "But how often do we consider giving our brain a regular "workout" to keep it functioning at peak performance, throughout our lives?"

    I agree! After all, the brain is like any other muscle in our body, it needs exercise to keep it strong and supple; especially as we get older.

    Thanks for the reminder about Lumosity. I will have to try it out soon :)

    Have a great rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, brain workouts are IMO, just another part of an exercise regime to stay fit, in this case mentally.

      I included Lumosity in my book:

      Laughing AT the Grim Reaper! Gems of Wisdom for Aging Well

      along with recommendations for yoga, walking and strength training.

      As you say (so well) in your comment, it is just like any other part of our bodies, the brain can definitely benefit from a regular and well-thought out workout. Lumosity takes the guesswork out of doing it right. Time and money so well spent in my opinion!

      I hope you give it a try soon. If you do, let me know how it goes. They are very good for customer support too and that's a big plus too.

      Have a great Sunday Ron and enjoy that snow in PA, if there's still some to enjoy!! Or maybe even more falling? It is that time of year. ;-) G

      Delete
  4. Excellent review.

    For me, Lumosity has really helped me, in so many ways.

    You don't realize how much the brain can be improved and stimulated, with these kinds of workouts, until you actually try them. It was an eye-opener. I'm glad to be back at Lumosity too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you don't realize how much your brain function can improve, unless you've tried Lumosity or a similar program. The scores speak for themselves. I think exercising your brain in a number of targeted ways is SO important. And I'm so glad to be back at Lumosity too. :-)

      Delete
  5. Just popped in to announce my return to blogging. It will not be as often but I will blog. I went to your old blog and found out that you too were cutting down. Anyway, I wanted to thank you for your recent supportive comments. Life is very strange now without Joe. Belated New Year greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to stop by Val. I hope you're having an OK day. And Joe IS always with you in spirit, love never dies. I truly believe that. More hugs to you too.

      Yes, I am focusing on other projects this year Val and am doing more here at MRLR that I was in the past couple of years, including posting reviews on at least a weekly basis and some new contests on the way too. I hope you'll stop by again when you can.

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...