Friday, April 28, 2017

A Haiku and French Lesson Update :-)



As you may remember from this previous post about the latest book/eBook I am currently working on, I was trying to decide what color and photo to go with for Haiku Reflections III. 

                                                                                         
The pink cover above is what I ended up choosing instead of this one:




What do you think?
                                                                           

The print book is now in review at CreateSpace and I am also working on the Kindle version, which will also have additional interior photos, for each season. 

I'll post a link when available at Amazon! 


It has been such fun creating a new book and I look forward to completing this project in the next few days. 😊




Onto another topic, you might also remember this post about my wish to learn French and my experience to date with Duolingo software.

I'm still motivated to continue with my French language pursuits but not with Duolingo.  It ended falling well short of my expectations, after working with this software for several weeks. Too many errors in translations, silly sentences that didn't make a lot of sense and certainly didn't help with learning....and several other issues. 

But free is free so I won't complain too much. Suffice to say, it was time to move on and find other methods to continue with my French studies.

I'm working through a couple of French learning books right now which I'm quite impressed with so far (see below).



       
The Everything French Grammar Book: All the Rules You Need to Master FranΓ§ais (Everything®) by [Lawless, Laura K]


I am also checking out Benny Lewis' language site.

His own record of being able to speak over 10 languages fluently and with thousands of happy fans/students worldwide is impressive. 

We shall see! Best of all, my desire to learn French hasn't waned through all this and I think that's the most important thing when it comes to learning anything new.

Hope you have a lovely weekend and week! 😊

24 comments:

  1. I love the cover you ended up choosing, great photo and color and the text shows up much better.

    Can't wait to read your latest haiku book.

    Duolingo did end up being a disappointment.They need to work on this software, even if it is free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can't wait to finish my new haiku book.πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  2. I like the pink, it goes so well with the flower you chose. I hope you told Duolingo of your disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Val.The flower photo is my all time fav, personal photo in my files. I'm a lot happier with the way the text looks now too.

      Duolingo doesn't have a support option, freebie ya know! So I guess I won't be able to share my thoughts with them directly.

      Delete
  3. Love your pink cover and good for you with the French lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You book looks great well done.
    As for French I am just hopeless and I have gone backwards rather than forward. My husband is speaking well now and just takes over which does not help! My memory is also not good and as I do not understand French grammar I only just get by these days. The older I get the bigger the problem. Good luck I hope you do well. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks re: the cover Rhodesia.

      I don't understand MUCH French grammar either but some of that is starting to stick!! It is a lot more complicated than English, I think. And don't they always say that English is one of the hardest languages for someone to learn? But I am very determined to keep up my French studies, I'll post an update when I come up with any other alternatives to duoLingo.

      I'm wondering what method you and your husband were using for learning French?

      Have a super weekend,G

      Delete
    2. We were having French lessons with a French lady. My husband was told she could teach him no more as his French was good, he just had to learn more vocabulary. I just gave up as it was not sinking in. We play French scrabble which is very difficult for me. Each verb has 37 different endings, even English cannot come close to that!!!!
      Have great Sunday, Diane

      Delete
    3. I forgot to add that My husband is a natural with languages he was top of the class at school in English and French and always second in German, only beaten by a German lad in his class. He also picked up a lot of Afrikaans when he lived there. I only started learning well after I had turned 60....... Diane

      Delete
  5. Geraldine, I think both colours of your book cover are lovely! The pink is pretty! Learning a second language can be a lot of fun! If you get any French television network in your area, this is a good way to learn as well, because you can also hear the way the words are pronounced. And a good French newspaper, such as La Presse, is another way to pick up French. Sometimes listening to the radio can help, and reading children's books in French is another great way to learn. I think you will find that le francaise est une belle langue! :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the suggestions Linda. I've already downloaded some French short stories on Amazon, but a little too advanced for me, at this point. I'll get there though. When I'm really determined to learn something, I usually succeed.πŸ˜‚ And yes, French truly is a beautiful language.πŸ’Ÿ

      Delete
  6. Both versions of the book look nice. Good luck with learning French

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colour choice of your book cover, very pretty.
    Good luck with your French!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work at improving my French and the way I do it is to watch a French language Cooking show that's on 5 days a week. It's interesting and with the cc on I can follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a great tip Granny, now I need to find one of those French cooking shows! We have limited channels where we are, but I'll check it out. Maybe something online too, like this. :-)

      Delete
  9. Your pink book looks beautiful. It will pop off a shelf, hard to ignore.

    Wishing you a wonderful time learning french.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and kind words Tammie. We are trying out a new French app tonight.πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  10. Sorry to read Duolingo didn't live up to your expectations. It does churn out the odd nonsensical sentence or phrase here or there, but the randomness of it is what makes it so useful. I never know what question I'm going to get. The books look impressive.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many errors and it was annoying how our progress was being stifled, in spite of few errors in each lesson. Those review bars just kept coming up over and over!!! I'm glad it worked for you though. I think it depends on what lesson and language you are working on. It is volunteer based from what I've read.

      I hope you have a wonderful week in England. A lot on the go over there, across the pond, with the elections and all.

      Delete
  11. The pink cover is my favorite, too. Why FrenchJ Are you planning a trip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pink one too Sandy but I've changed the photo AGAIN as it didn't show up all that well, in the print copy I just got. The petals look kind of strange, the way they are opening. Too bad but I found another flower photo that I like even better. The big reveal soon!!! LOL

      I've always wanted to learn French and as you know Canada is a bilingual country so it is helpful to have here. I am just loving learning a language, a lot more fun than brain games and just as challenging. :-)

      Have a super week Sandy.

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...