Saturday, January 18, 2014

The 7th Day by Nika Lubitsch





I recently noted the: The 7th Day at one of my favorite ebook sites: Free Ebooks Daily. 

I wasn't sure if this would be my kind of story to read, based on the description. Mystery thrillers, court room dramas...not usually my kind of book.

But my interest was piqued, based on it being a top seller for months in Germany (and I do have some German ancestry) ;-)

Well, I'm certainly glad I did decide to get a copy of this book. 

I actually read it in one afternoon, I just dropped the work of the day and kept on tapping my Kindle! 



From the Amazon product page:


"The 7th Day" has topped the German Kindle´s best-selling list for several months. 

Sybille and Michael are a happy couple, finally expecting their first baby. But then Michael disappears without a trace, and Sybille finds herself living a nightmare. When her husband is found, stabbed to death, there is only one suspect: Sybille. While listening to the witnesses´ testimonies during her murder trial, Sybille recollects her life with Michael. On the seventh day of the trial, Sibylle realizes the truth. But how can she ever prove it? 

This clever mystery is set in both Berlin and at a secret place, a place so terribly secret that some readers recognized it anyway." 


***

Author: Nika Lubitsch  has a very compelling style of writing. I was drawn in to the plot very quickly. No lag time or wasted words here. Fast-paced throughout with a satisfying twist in the plot at the end too. 

I also liked that the story was told from three different viewpoints.

I don't want to spoil the story but this is a mystery/thriller/love story you won't soon forget.

 It brought to mind the classic novel: Crime and PunishmentIt had a 'Euro-vibe" (for lack of a better term) that also gave it an edginess I particularly liked. If you do read this story, let me know if you felt that way about it too. 

Sometimes, it is worth taking a chance on a book, if it seems to be out of our usual genre comfort-zone. 

Nice to shake things up a bit now and then, when it comes to reading choices. ;-)

The 7th Day is the first book I've read by Nika Lubitsch but it won't be my last. 



Overall rating for this book: Excellent. 5 out of 5. 



17 comments:

  1. Wow! This sounds good! I'll go see if I can find it. Great review my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you give this one a try Diane!

      Delete
  2. Now that sounds more my style,except that I don't know if I"m over my credit...will check it out, thanks dear G. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating story. I got it on a free day, which was even better.

      Check out Free Ebooks Daily (link above) for some really good daily free Kindle books. One of my new fav book sites. I've used it for promoting my ebooks too and it was great!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous book review, Geraldine!

    I enjoy reading mystery thrillers. Mary Higgins Clark is one of my favorite writers in the genre.

    I will definitely check it out. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Ron, do let me know if you give this one a try. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I know someone who will love this book. Thanks for the awesome review, Geraldine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked my review Kim! I hope the person you have in mind loves this book. You might enjoy it too. ;<)

      Delete
  5. I think you're right. It's good to challenge oneself. You never know whether you will like the book or not if you don't read it. Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't been over at Free Ebooks Daily that day, i probably would have never noticed this book browsing Amazon. I'm so glad I did step out of my reading comfort zone. ;<) Nice to see you again and hope you're having a good day, across the pond!

      Delete
  6. This time I made sure to bookmark the free e-book, especially since I decided to stay where I was, and you did hit it right on the button...I've started caring about the people in the other apts and I help when they need help, or need something that they are too old to do, and I care about these people and I started feeling that caring feeling that makes me want to run away. So I've decided to stay and I will open my door when they knock, and I will clean the snow around their cars, help someone can use my help and to let all that social anxiety out, I have to start yoga, I believe that it did help me in the past....oh geesh G do you have to know everything (said with a smile)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lorraine, I am so glad to read this. I've already mentioned some suggestions in the comment at your blog, sounds like you are taking some of them to heart, I'm so glad. Isolation and being alone to much is not good for anyone. And helping others...well, that's helped me more than I can say, so many times over the years. It really does put things into perspective when you realize how many people have challenges that often make our own seem very small, by comparison.

      You are so kind L, I know what you are saying with your last line and I'm touched by your words.

      Lots of hugs my friend and again, I'm glad if I can help, always. ;<)

      Delete
  7. it is always wonderful to find a book that we don't want to put down, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent review as always. Another ebook to add to my list, to read. Sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. on the other hand my memory is worthless, I decided I wasn't really using wi-fi so I returned it yesterday as I'm trying to upload something interesting that's free and I'm having trouble...why am I having t.....o s--- I returned my wifi, I'm getting it back it Monday hopefully it works on this computer ,cause hum it's old, I may have to see what I can do with my new useless laptop if I can at least connect for wi-fi, I can upload there...what was I thinking, obviously not thinking

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank God my wi-fi is coming back on Monday I hope it works on this laptop if not well maybe I can use it only on the new laptop, without having to go back to it, it won't take my photo it.s too busy with its own gadget arrghhh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...