Sunday, April 20, 2014

How I Roll by J. Bryant Neville Jr.





How I Roll by Bryant Neville Jr. is not the kind of book I normally pick to read. But I noted it on one of the Top 100 Kindle lists at Amazon recently, for inspirational books and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad that I did.

I was inspired by Bryant's true life story of how he has faced his disability head-on, from the young age of 17, when he was involved in a car accident to the present day, at age 47.

I learned a lot about the reality of what it means to live life in a wheelchair and how a person with a disability like this must learn to adapt to so many "givens" that we take for granted, like going to the bathroom, bathing, showering... etc. Although I'm rather a squeamish person, I did not find these references particularly gross or hard to read; just enlightening. 

It certainly put my own (by comparison, small) challenges over the years into perspective too. How Bryant has adjusted and gone on to having a very successful life in every way, is truly inspiring for anyone who reads this book. 

His disability obviously changed his life forever, but it certainly didn't defeat him. He has accomplished so much, in spite of his disability including: graduating from college, rising up through the ranks for several upper-level employers and raising a family of his own.  


I thought the book was well written, in a realistic but still for the most part, sensitive way.

Bryant has an incredible family who really helped him to get to where he has in life, in spite of his disability. I was touched by the love that he conveyed for all the people who are close to him, including many friends who stuck by him, through the years. In that respect, Bryant is blessed so much more, than many people in similar circumstances.


There was only one sentence that I found a bit surprising and insensitive and this was not in relation to Bryant's injury. It was in reference to a weekend at the Daytona 500 when one of the drivers was tragically killed in a race. 


When asked by a friend after the weekend was over, how things had gone and if he had HAD FUN, Bryant replied: 

"Absolutely! The seats were amazing and everyone had a blast."


Wow, that didn't sound right and it bothered me, reading this. 


Other than that, a good book and one that I definitely think would help a lot of people who are struggling with big challenges and adjustments in life (of any kind) as Bryant has so capably done.

I did not find the book overly religious either. I don't like that in a book and I didn't agree with some comments from other reviewers over at Amazon, in this regard. Obviously, Bryant's faith is important to him and that is conveyed throughout this story, but not in a preachy or overbearing way.



Overall rating for this Ebook: Very Good. 4 out of 5. 

7 comments:

  1. This is an excellent review. This book sounds like it would be inspiring for almost anyone who would read it. I'm interested in reading it now too. One 'bad part' about that sentence you mentioned above, isn't too bad overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. It is a good book. I enjoyed reading it, except for that one ref. to the car crash. But overall, a worthwhile and enlightening book.

      Delete
  2. Indeed a strange reaction for a race that ended in a fatality. I know fans love the crashes, but, yeah, that was totally insensitive. Sounds like an interesting read, Geraldine. Hope you have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to read that sentence Kim.

      Seeing something like that would bother me for weeks afterwards, even if I didn't know the person who had been killed. Otherwise, it was a good book.

      Have a great week too!

      Delete
  3. Faaaaaaaaabulous book review, Geraldine! And this book sounds exactly like something I would love to read. I love true and inspirational stories.

    "Although I'm rather a squeamish person, I did not find these references particularly gross or hard to read; just enlightening. "

    I'm the same way. I have no problem reading or turning my eyes from things that are true, even though they might be difficult to read.

    Yes, that is a bit peculiar how he reacted to that question.

    Again, FAB review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron, I try! I love to write reviews actually, here and over at Amazon.com. Thanks for your continued support and feedback, always appreciated.

      Delete
  4. so many people suffer disabilities but have overcome them in such great ways. sounds like Bryant falls into that category. i love stories that challenge one to think differently about their lives. hope all is well. have a great night~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...