Tuesday, May 17, 2016

What Do You Think? Conversation Starters and Icebreakers


WHAT DO YOU THINK? Volume 1


I'm often rather shy when it comes to starting a conversation, especially with people I don't know well. So, the idea of being more relaxed and better at this particular social skill (with anyone and at anytime!) spurred me on to give this book a try. 

For the most part, I really enjoyed it.

 It has some thought-provoking questions/conversation starters, many that really make you think.

Some are fun and just plain goofy. But there are many others that bring up serious topics and situations that make a person contemplate and ponder what they would actually do, if placed in that particular scenario, in their own life.

Three (shorter) example scenarios, from the book:

"Should pet ambulances be allowed to use an emergency siren and flashing lights to run red lights if a pet is in critical condition?" 

***

"What do you think is the best kept secret in the world?"

***

"If you entered the Witness Protection Program and you had to change your occupation in 30 days, what would you be?"

***

On the goofy front: the author (or authors) seem to have quite a fixation on "passing gas", LOL!!! Several questions that come up involve farting at inopportune times. ;-)

Do you find it easy to get a conversation started, especially when talking with someone you don't know well, or at all? 



Overall rating for this eBook: Very Good. 4 out of 5

16 comments:

  1. My answer is no. I guess that book may be one that I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite interesting overall Sandy, some of the questions really made me think about how I would actually react.

      Delete
  2. It depends on context! If I know I have something in common with someone I've never before spoken to, then I can find it easy to start a conversation. Generally though I find it very difficult. Also knowing the right questions to ask is a real skill so this book could be really helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Juliet. It IS so much easier to talk with someone you know you have some common ground with. :-)

      Delete
  3. I thank you for your visit Geraldine_!
    __My profile -location- is the 'Cape.' I actually live 'off Cape,' but if I speak too loudly I'll be heard in Hyannis_!
    __My wife and I spend a lot time 'on Cape' from October to March... a lot less route 6 traffic with which to contend. I'd recommend the time spans, just after the tourist season... to just before its re-start. The 'Cape' is a great place of history_! _m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my dream destinations Magyar, hopefully soon. Sounds like heaven, in spite of the traffic! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Hi Geraldine. I had to smile at those conversation starters. I never have conversations with people I don't know that require both of us to think that much! I have a book similar to this that my Grands and I sometimes use for fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Barbara, but they are interesting to consider, if only for ones own personal reactions. Made me think what my answer would be, again and again.

      Delete
  5. Excellent review. Sounds like a good book to get ideas how to start conversations,especially with people we don't know well. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like this book a lot Joe. :-)

      Delete
  6. So long as I can get through the 'Hello and how are you' stage I'm okay with whatever follows. Sometimes it is easier to talk to strangers and often more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they may turn out being a new friend too! I'm guessing you're a good conversationalist Val.

      Delete
  7. Hi, Geraldine, I am one who loves people...but I am terrible at conversing with someone that I've just met.
    Being retired and living in the country...I do not run into this problem often, thankfully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to talk but put me in a roomful of strangers and I have nothing to say. I hate when that happens. A common complaint it seems.

      I didn't realize that you live out in the country. How lovely that must be!

      Delete
  8. Wow...this one could have been written just for me!
    Like you, I often have difficulty starting a conversation with a stranger. In my case, I automatically assume the other person will have no interest whatsoever in what I have to say!
    I suppose it all boils down to a lack of confidence.

    Thank you so much for this great review...:))

    Big Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks so much for your kind words Ygraine.

      Seems that starting a conversation is a challenge for many people, I thought it was just me!!! LOL Hugs to you, G

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...