Sunday, May 1, 2016

The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club




This story was NOT what I expected initially, based on the cover and the title. 

I thought it would be a typical cozy mystery, but it is so much more than that.

This book grabbed my attention and kept me tapping my kindle and finding time to read even when I was really too busy to read anything, right up to the last page of the story. I love when that happens! :-)

And speaking of the ending, JUST GREAT!!! 

The author tied up all the loose ends and left the reader with a big surprise too, one that I did not see coming at all.

The only negatives... as some reviewers at Amazon have mentioned, the plot at times is a bit far-fetched.

SPOILER ALERT!!! 

For example: I thought the build-up to each murder should have been developed more. In real life do people ever really plan to "bump off" their neighbors with that little thought and time elapsing before calling a hit man? Maybe at times that could actually happen but it seemed rather rushed and extreme.

And is it really all that easy to get a contract for a hit online as portrayed in this story? Maybe, maybe not.

But overall, these issues detracted only slightly from the overall enjoyment of this story.

As far as the walking club members: I have known women who are this shallow, who live to gossip, who are completely wrapped up in their own little worlds and their looks...in that respect, I thought the author got it just right. I didn't agree with some  negative comments at Amazon, about this aspect of the story.

From the Amazon product page:

Little is what it seems to be in a leafy Savannah neighborhood as members of an afternoon cocktail and dog walking club mourn a neighbor’s death. Jealousies surface when friends vie for the widower running for mayor. An old woman with an infamous uncle plots to avenge a wrong. Memories haunt a once successful children’s writer. And a model has won the trip of a lifetime.

But a killer lurks and secrets unfold, as does a web of deceit. Is anyone really who he or she seems to be? A mysterious South American, a young Italian count, and a charitable nephew add suspicion and intrigue, as do an enigmatic organization linked to organized crime, a handsome firefighter, and three widows with hidden agendas. What’s a retired accountant’s secret, and why did a former showgirl really have plastic surgery?

The plot thickens, the Georgia temperature rises, and someone is destined for an early unmarked grave. The truth contorts to a climax that leaves readers breathless.

***

I've already downloaded the second eBook in this series. Can't wait to read that one too!

Well done to award-winning author: Duncan Whitehead
This book is a winner from the eye-catching cover to the last exciting page!

Overall rating for this eBook: Very Good. 4 out of 5

14 comments:

  1. I'll give this one a try, Geraldine. Recommendations are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think Val. I think you'll enjoy this story a lot!

      Delete
  2. a great review....proving you really can't judge a book by it's cover!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie. I actually love the cover BUT it's not really in keeping with all the nasty people in this story, IMO.

      Delete
  3. Looks good! Doesn't sound like a cozy to me. I love mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot more than a cozy mystery, that's for sure. I love a good mystery too, as long as it's not tooooo graphic or gory.

      Delete
  4. Sounds pretty...good except for the few things that you weren't that pleased with.
    I am a great one for judging books by their covers. I have not always been a good judge of the book itself...but then I do still have the covers :)

    Hugs and Have a Great Day, Geraldine~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interesting thing Jan was that those minor negatives did not detract much from the story overall. I like the style of writing this author uses and the surprises just keep on coming, right to the last page. Apparently this book has won a couple of big book awards and I'm not surprised by that either. ;-)

      Hugs to you too friend! :-)

      Delete
  5. I know you really enjoyed this book. Sounds like a good book and definitely not the usual cozy mystery. Excellent review. And the cover IS cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time putting this one down Joe and that doesn't happen very often. Now I've got the second one on my Kindle!!! ;-)

      Delete
  6. Wow...I am totally intrigued...I am definitely going to HAVE to read this book, Geraldine!
    I so love far-fetched plots...well, if the plot of a novel is too much like real life, then it would fail to be exciting, wouldn't it?;)
    Thank you so much for sharing this excellent review...I don't even have a copy yet...and I'm hooked!

    Big Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this story Ygraine, I'm almost sure of that.

      Glad you enjoyed my review and lots of hugs back to you too! :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...