Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Fermenting: How to Ferment Vegetables by Rashelle Johnson








I love fermented foods but have not made a lot of them from scratch to date. 
In spite of being an avid cook and cookbook author, it's something I always thought was too much work and not really worth the effort. 

But after reading: Fermenting: How to Ferment Vegetables, I'm ready to give it a go!


Author Rashelle Johnson has done a great job explaining how to go about the process of home fermenting vegetables in an easy to understand and straightforward way. She has included an extensive (very!) Q and A section that I found most helpful in addition to the many recipes.



This is a lot more than just a how to guide for the basics like sauerkraut and pickles. There are recipes for a variety of fermented veggies including some of my favs like: beets, kohlrabi, carrots and zucchini...and all of them sound so yummy!



I need to get a good size crock to work with then I'm going to give this collection a good kitchen workout. ;-)



Only one question I could not find the answer to, perhaps I missed it. I would still like to know if the actual crock used to hold the foods needs to be sterilized before use, as is the case with making pickles etc, with regular pickling methods? If the author could answer this (at Amazon or here) that would be great.

Overall rating for this ebook: Very Good. 4 out of 5. 

4 comments:

  1. Now I really wish that I had a Kindle...just made my second batch of saurkraut...would have loved to read that book first.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is a great book Jen! I was really impressed by the work that went into this book. the recipes are healthy and NOT loaded with a bunch of junky ingredients like sugar...you really, really need a kindle!!!

      how did the sauerkraut turn out? I LOVE it, but have never actually had the homemade kind, must be so good.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good book for making fermented foods. I love sauerkraut and pickles too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very good guide to fermenting veggies. The author did a great job, not only with the recipes but with all the additional info. she provided in this ebook. Impressive!

      Delete

Thank you for your visits and feedback! :<)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...